Nightshade Anime & Manga RPG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fun filled anime/manga reading, watching and RPG community.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is this plagerism?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Is this plagerism? Empty
PostSubject: Is this plagerism?   Is this plagerism? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Okay I'm righting a vampire novel and it's like Hellsing with vampires and Nazi's but it takes place in Nazi Germany. Now there are references to Dracula and it's implied that some of the characters are connected to Dracula himself but Dracula is never actually mentioned it's just implied a lot that he is the one that turned some of the characters. Their are also mad scientists and experiments. So what I am wondering is am I plagerising Hellsing?
Back to top Go down
Chad Baxter
Novice
Novice
Chad Baxter

Character Sheet
Current Active Characters:
Game Related Information:
Nom de Guerre:

Is this plagerism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this plagerism?   Is this plagerism? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:37 pm

I do not think your plagerising. Your merely taking idea's from Bram Stokers Dracula and Hellsing. So your idea isn't totally original, but its not plagerism. It would be plagerism if you used Hellsings characters and/or said they were yours.
Back to top Go down

Is this plagerism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this plagerism?   Is this plagerism? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:10 pm

You are probably not plagiarising hellsing but you may be plagiarizing something else which would also be against the rules so keep an eye out.
Back to top Go down
Albert Alexander
Rookie
Rookie
Albert Alexander

Character Sheet
Nom de Guerre:

Is this plagerism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this plagerism?   Is this plagerism? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 11:48 pm

you can use Dracula freely, and names as well. They just can't be similar to the characters on hellsing. if name is only similairty then you are safe
Back to top Go down

Is this plagerism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this plagerism?   Is this plagerism? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Alucard wrote:
You are probably not plagiarising hellsing but you may be plagiarizing something else which would also be against the rules so keep an eye out.
Lloyd Asplund wrote:
you can use Dracula freely, and names as well. They just can't be similar to the characters on hellsing. if name is only similairty then you are safe
Thanks I'll be honest what concerns me the most is the main villain. He's inspired by the Major though is nothing like him in appearance there are three things that they have in common my villain is a high ranking Nazi officer but he's higher up the ladder. He loves war to an insane degree but will actually participate in battle. He's also a good strategist.

What I was hoping was having characters that are Alucard level would that be plagerism?
Back to top Go down

Is this plagerism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this plagerism?   Is this plagerism? EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 1:03 am

A vampire novel set in Nazi Germany is a great idea, and you should be fine with your character ideas. You can discreetly make allusions that only Hellsing fans would notice without breaching any copyright boundaries - a lot of novels make allusions and foils of characters in other media and books.

As far as FREAKs and other things go, I'm pretty sure those would be copyright protected, but using the idea of government experiments is not unheard of, since there is a lot of speculation about that concerning Nazi Germany.

Good luck in your novel!

And it's only plagiarism if you're directly ripping off words and quotes without citations. Otherwise, things like characters are copyright protected. However, some names may be restricted for use - I vaguely remember something about certain names being protected somehow so that books, etc. cannot use them.
Back to top Go down

Is this plagerism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this plagerism?   Is this plagerism? EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 3:47 am

Not plagiarism. It wouldn't even be plagiarism if you wrote a novel about a space pirate named San Holo and his fluffy companion Woochakka, flying around in the Decade Eagle.
Back to top Go down
Utsu
Novice
Novice

Character Sheet
Nom de Guerre:

Is this plagerism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this plagerism?   Is this plagerism? EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 pm

You forgot about Lucas air stroller
Back to top Go down

Is this plagerism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this plagerism?   Is this plagerism? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:47 pm

It Is Not Plagerisim, It's Surely INTERESTING I'd Love To View What You Have So Far If Thats Ok With You. Nazi Germany Would Be Horrible Though God Damn You Hitler... Great Though You Have A Big Imagination.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is this plagerism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this plagerism?   Is this plagerism? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this plagerism?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nightshade Anime & Manga RPG Forum :: Limbo and Practice RP :: OOC & Chat :: Discussion Board-
Jump to: